This dress is an original design which was inspired and based off of several paintings, drawings, and costume plates from the 1830s. I took my favorite aspects from over a dozen reference photos and combined them into the design for this.
The dress is made from eight yards of cotton sateen, lined with off white cotton, and trimmed with vintage eyelet lace. The bodice front, sleeves and skirt are all pleated down with half inch knife pleats. There are over a hundred and fifty pleats in total on this dress!
The dress laces up the back with red ribbon threaded through embroidered eyelets. Overall this was a very hand sewing heavy project and took over twenty five hours to create.
I made the bonnet from buckram which I covered in cotton sateen. The bonnet tie and lining are both pleated to make it cordinate with the dress. I decorated my hair with a pearl headband and a dozen fake flowers, the ivory ones are ribbon flowers and the larger ones are plastic. I styled the dress with a pearl necklace and vintage gloves.
As per usual,the dress and bonnet were drafted and made by me.
Total time: 25 hours
Total Cost $45
I have three posts covering the making of process.