As promised, here is the final post in about making this dress. But I still have to post about making a crown and a cloak, so the Dewdrop series isn’t over yet!
I started by drafting my sleeves – I wasn’t that particular about these, so all I did was take a few measurements, then sketch it out. I was pretty confident and decided not to make a mock up
I used them in place of bias tape to make sure none of the edges would fray. After this was done my sleeves were ready to be gathered!
I gathered the sleeves down by hand and used loose cartridge pleats to get the look I wanted. You can really see how wimpy these pleats look with lightweight material, now does it make sense why I used quilt batting in the skirt?
I really wanted to integrate chiffon into these sleeves since the cloak is decorated with two chiffon ruffles, but I didn’t want to add anymore length. After a bit of playing around I decided upward facing ruffles would be really neat.
I created these the way I usually do, by cutting strips of chiffon and folding them in half to get a finished edge.
I gathered these down by hand and sewed them onto the edge of each sleeve.
I really liked how this looked, but they were still missing something important – cuffs. I cut a three inch strip of damask to be the cuff, and a slightly smaller strip of linen to serve as lining.
I did up the side seams, sewed them onto the bodice, and tah dah! It looks like a proper dress. Even after altering a few petticoats it doesn’t have the shape I want. Some day I’ll make a pair of pocket hoops to go underneath this, but today is not that day.
So that’s that. I’m quite pleased with it, aside from the skirt shape it came out just as I’d hoped.
Thanks for reading!