This is part two in my Fall Flower Fairy project, part one covers how I made the skirt and can be read here.
Today i’ll be going over how I made the bodice. If you’re interested, i’ve created a video that shows (some) of the process, and that can be watched here!
This bodice was originally supposed to look like two oak leaves…but then I wanted to add sleeves, so I changed the shape…but when I made the sleeves I didn’t like how they looked. This bodice didn’t turn out how I had expected, not even close, but I really love the end result.
Step one was draping the pattern. I’ve been asked about the process a lot recently and I will be doing a draping tutorial soon, I just haven’t gotten to it yet.
I didn’t really know where this was going when I started, I didn’t even have a sketch so it was an adventure!
I had planned on it being a five piece pattern but I managed to draft it as one, so that was neat.
As lovely as the care bear print was, I decided to turn it into a proper paper pattern. Then I cut the pattern from chiffon and organza to create the base for my bodice.
The next step was adding the boning channels. I used a colored pencil to mark the placement.
To create the channels I cut one inch strips of cotton sateen, folded the edges over, then pinned and stitched them in place.
Before adding the boning I used a colored pencil to mark an inch away from the neckline. Later on I’ll fold the edge over until it touches this line, which will create a half inch seam allowance.
I added the boning, then pinned the edge. Pinning curves inward is never fun, so many pinpricks!
I used tiny stitches to secure the edge in place.
After all the flowers were on I used a lint roller to remove any glue trails and lint. Then two layers of tulle were draped and pinned overtop.
It’s quite lovely but not done yet! The interior edges were fraying so I pinned lace over top of them.
Then the lace was sewn down.
And the bodice was pretty much done!
As far as dress assembly goes, it was pretty simple. I machine stitched the waist seam, then used home made bias tape to cover any raw edges.
The back seam was done up almost all the way. I left room for a zipper but there was to much material to stitch through AND I made it slightly too small. I ended up using embroidered eyelets as closures for the dress which worked really well.
Here is the finished back – It does lace closed all the way but I am the absolute worse at getting myself into dresses.
So that’s that! I really adore how this dress turned out. It’s the type of dress that makes you smile, it’s so fluffy and flowery I just love it. I’ll have more photos in my next post, which will cover making the headpiece and “wand”!
Thanks for reading!