This is the final post about making this dress! I originally posted about it at the end of January, almost two weeks after I finished it. It’s inspired by Madalena’s wedding dress in the show “Galavant” and has a Renaissance/Fantasy flair to it.
In my last post I had just completed the bodice and sleeves, which meant it was time to focus on the skirt! The skirt is made entirely from the greyish “mystery” fabric. I had quite limited amounts of fabric, so I couldn’t make the skirt as full as I had hoped. It ended up being a rectangular front panel, with three gored panels in the back. Skirts like this can be cut from three and a half yards of fabric, which is super handy!
I gave it a small train – I would have made it longer if I had more fabric, but it only ended up being around sixteen inches.
I had planned on cartridge pleating the top, so I cut strips of flannel on the bias to back the waistline with. This will give the fabric more volume which makes it pleat nicer!
I hemmed one edge, then stitched it onto the skirt. One end folds over a half inch, and the other is one and a half inches long.
Unfortunately even with the backing this fabric really didn’t want to pleat nicely. I ended up with really tiny, sad looking gathers and I wasn’t pleased with them at all.
So I decided to pleat the top instead. I had hoped having a gathered waist would help differentiate it from the dress I used as inspiration, since i’m not trying to make an exact copy of it. But sometimes you have to do what works with the fabric, even if it isn’t part of the plan!
This is it all pinned! One large box pleat is in the center, then knife pleats on the sides.
Then it was time for hemming! I marked one inch inside the hem and folded the edge to touch it, then basted it down.
Then I turned that edge inward again, until I had an even one and a half inch hem. I did make the hem a little deeper towards the back, so I could get really smooth curves.
I stitched it by hand with a cross stitch to make it nice and pretty!
I turned the top of the back seam edges over to create a slit.
I finished the edge with bias tape and sewed hook/eye closures every one and a half inches to keep the skirt closed. I don’t think I got any photos of those, but below you can see the markings I made for them.
Then the skirt got pinned on!
And finally sewn on. I did this by hand to try and hide the stitches, but both of these fabrics are very pucker prone so i’m afraid it isn’t as smooth as I had wanted!
Here is the finished dress – all it needs is a good ironing!
I’m probably most pleased with the tiny gathers on the sleeves.
I decided to pair this dress with the silver crown I got on ebay last year. I’m a little annoyed because it has started to turn gold in some areas which is really bizarre. I’ve heard of fake gold turning silver, but never the reverse! Luckily it kind of comes off with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol.
I also wore it with a bunch of rings I got from ebay and forever 21, and a pair of earrings from Charlotte Russe.
After wearing this dress for a bit i’ve decided there are two things I want to change. The skirt REALLY needs a liner of some sort, the fabric is too flowy and looks very lumpy, even over a smooth petticoat. It also caves in at the bottom so I think adding six inch horsehair in the hem would make a huge difference.
I’d also like to pick up something to cover the waist seam – next time i’m in NYC I’ll keep a look out for silver lace!
Here are two pictures of the finished costume. We got some snow I thought it would make for a pretty backdrop!
Thanks for reading!