The making of a Glass Angel Costume, Part Three

Here we are with part three, all about the ruffly skirt! Ruffly skirts are the best skirts, I feel passionately about this and had quite a bit of fun creating this one!

I put up a “tutorial” for this on tumblr, with the bare minimum of required information on how to make it. It ended up being surprisingly popular, gathering 5000someodd notes which is a new record for me! If  you would like to see the short, tutorial version of this project click here.

Otherwise I hope you enjoy my rambles and unnecessary photos (it’s my specialty after all)~

To be honest I didn’t start out with a big plan in mind. For the petticoat I decided to go with my usual method – the one that involves making tons of ruffles and then hoping for the best. In total this petticoat has more (yes, more) ruffles then my RMT bustle has! I was slightly shocked by this, especially since this was so easy/fast to make compared to the bustle.

(In total there are over 25yds of ruffles on the underskirt, which required over 150yds of hemming.)

I made the ruffles with my usual string method, which you can find more info on here! I really do not want to explain it again, since it’s very boring stuff. But, in case you had forgotten, it involves a lot of hemming. I began the hemming process on my Singer Heavy Duty 4423, my main machine that I got seven months ago (give or take a bit). Sadly half way through the project it began making a very load squeaking noise, overheating, and having tension troubles.

DSC_9352

The machine was replaced a week later with a Singer Industrial 161D-30, which is a HUGE upgrade. In addition to being larger and sturdier it also sews ten times faster then the baby machine I was using before. Which makes hemming massive amounts of ruffles a much faster, simpler task. Can’t say i’ll miss my three hour hemming marathons.

IMGP0551

Anyway, once the ruffles were made I sewed them onto 4″ rectangles of netting.

IMGP0553

Then the rectangles of netting were gathered and sewn onto a 1/2 circle skirt, which looks like so!  Looking back I wish it was a 3/4 skirt..but eh, that would be a lot more work. This skirt is made out of heavy canvas, if you plan on creating this you’ll want to use a sturdy material that does not stretch.

If you are unaware of how circle skirts are created an awesome tutorial exists here.

IMGP0548

Though I was quite pleased with this, the shape was all wrong – so I created more ruffles and sewed them onto very long panels of netting which were pinned to the waist, giving a cupcake shape.

IMGP0554

I was very unimpressed by the poof factor this created. So I made even MORE ruffles and did a second layer of gathered netting, this time I used 8″ tulle which was sewn four inches above my first layer

IMGP0557

Finally I was pleased with it, but the ruffles were kind of all over the place.

DSC_9441

DSC_9442

See how messy they are? This bothered me. DSC_9444

I used a very large needle and loosely sewed through all the layers, just enough to keep all the layers pressed against each other. Sadly this made the skirt a little less poofy, but it looks much better.

DSC_9446

Skipping over a few steps, since I didn’t take pictures of this part, here is the overskirt! It’s made up of 1 1/2 circle skirts which I gathered down by hand and hand sewed into place. Then a ruffle was hand made, and sewn onto the edge. I think it’s all pretty self explanatory.

DSC_9601

DSC_9603

Then it came time to add stripes to my wonderfully poofy skirt. These looked like so and eventually had the sides turned over and stitched down.

DSC_9614

Then they were placed onto the skirt.

DSC_9626

When worn it looked like so.

DSC_9647But it was still missing something! And since it was decked out in ruffles that can only mean one thing – it needs sparkles.

I quickly remedied the lack of shine by added little white plastic diamonds on each stripe.

DSC_9759

Which STILL wasn’t enough, so I created a double sided ruffle and glued the diamonds down the center.

My skirt also got a waistband.

DSC_9776

At this point something was still off – it wasn’t poofy enough. So I decided to sew in hoopskirt boning which instantly made it puffier and rufflier!

DSC_9777

Marvelous. 

Untitled3

I also added a 6″ zipper down the back and two snaps for secure closure. I don’t have photos of that bit, but I DO have pictures of the bodice and skirt together.

DSC_9875

And that’s about everything for now! The end is in sight!

Thank you for reading!