Onto the fun post, assembly! I announced this project on tumblr and a lot of people showed interest, so I tried to make this as detailed as possible. That way it could work as a guide, or tutorial for anyone who wants to make one themselves!
I talk about drafting in Part One, so read that if you are curious!
I altered and used a pajama pattern from See&Sew, it’s pattern number is B4326 and it was very easy to figure out.
But If you don’t want to buy a pattern, there are quite a few tutorials on drafting your own online. You could even cut apart a sweatshirt (one you no longer need/want) and trace it to get a pattern.
In the last post I finished off the drafting process by copying arrows onto poster board. This was done so I could trace around them more easily.
You want to trace out all the markings and arrows onto the wrong side of your backing fabric. I was using flannel, which I’d recommend for this task. I would also highly suggest picking a material color that either matches the color of the markings, or matches the base fabric. (mistakes will blend in better!)
Don’t be an idiot and buy what was on the fabric websites clearance page not like I did that or anything….
Make sure your material is pressed ahead of time. You don’t have to use flannel, but I would suggest material that isn’t slippery (NOT silk, satin, taffeta, peachskin, lining fabric, etc.) or thick (fleece).
Broadcloth would work just fine if you wanted a cheaper alternative.
Once it’s cut pin the proper pieces together, make sure to remember the “right sides together” rule! The outline should be facing upward, and the soft side should be in the middle.
Then, pin, pin, pin! Make sure the material on both sides is flat and smooth, and try to put the pins in places they won’t need to be removed/interfere with sewing the outline. If you don’t you’ll run into problems later on.
Once you have carefully pinned the damn things you can sew.
It’s slippery and annoying with pins, without them it’s hell.
Then it was time to sew. I used a 2.5 stitch size and put a new needle on my machine to make things go a little smoother. Start at the top and work downward. Make sure to sew slowly and don’t stray from the outline~
I would suggest starting with the easiest ones first, working towards the most difficult pieces.
(this was the first one I did, and I hadn’t discovered the importance of that just yet)
Once the arrow has been sewn around it can be cut out. You want the edge to be no more then a half inch, but no less then a quarter inch.
Like so. You should also clip your corners so they look sharp! I did this, but I didn’t photograph it, for some reason.
If the corners are being pain in the ass a pair of pliers and a knitting needle can help! I don’t like tweezers, they just went through the fabric and pulled out fluff. Pliers worked much better for me. If you choose to use a needle, be gentle.
(I’m overenthusiastic and always poke through the material, destroying the corner)
Then press the backs with an iron and that’s it.
Then repeat with the more complicated ones
For this one it had so many close corners I cut it from the back, working off the line I sewed rather then the original outline.
When flipped, it looked so odd!
It looked pretty odd rightside out, too, actually.
For the bigger pieces I ended up making 3 inch slits in the backs, which is where I pulled the arrow heads through.
These curvy ones actually didn’t give me any trouble at all, it was a pleasant surprise.
Once I was finished with the arrows I cut out my pattern and began pinning the pieces on very carefully. One of the bonuses about working with minky (in addition to it fraying something awful) is that it’s stretchy! So pinning is important.
For the back piece, I drew a line down the back and used that as a guide. I felt silly later on for cutting this on a fold when I could have just done a seam, it get’s covered either way!
For the shorts I did things a litte differently, instead of sewing the crotch seam first, I did up the side seams.
Which gave me something flat to sew the arrows onto, AND I didn’t have to add a seam in the middle of the arrow.
Once again I started with the easiest arrows first, just to practice on. I did 1/4″ topstitching, but it varies in a few (okay a lot) of spots. I felt like this was a lot more difficult then sewing around the outline, the minky was really slippery and just a pain.
Not sure how I completed it without breaking something, but I did.
After this was taken I did up the front seam of the shorts, and made the waistband. I flipped over 1/2″ at the top, sewed it down, then flipped it down an inch so the raw edge was hidden. I sewed along the edge and then added elastic to the waist.
I did the final two seams after this was taken, and then did a rolled hem on the bottom cuffs. Similar to the top, they were hemmed a half inch, flipped, and then hemmed an inch.
I moved onto the hoodie right after, sewing the arms onto the back.
Then I sewed on the front, did up the side seams and I had two wearable garments!
It still needs a hood, pockets, hemming, and a few other details, but it’s getting there! the next (and final) post should be very short in comparison to this, and it will be up later this week.
Thanks a bunch for reading! x