This post is about making the sleeves, skirt, and bonnet for an 1830’s ensemble. I posted about making the bodice for this project a few months ago but didn’t finish the ensemble until last week!
I looked at a lot of sleeve examples from the 1830’s but finally decided on something a little silly that would let the plaid really shine – shirring.
I sketched a few designs but ended up making the the sleeves with four portions – two shirred upper portions separated by piping, a loose puffed portion, and the cuff.
The first step was cutting out four sixty inch wide strips. Then I used the lines in the plaid as a guide for gathering the strips down.
This was very time consuming to do. Each sleeve had seven rows of gathering – that’s 420″ of fabric that had to be gathered down, and that’s just for one sleeve!
Then I sewed piping onto the bottom edge of each piece.
The second shirred panel was sewn on, just below the piping.
Then I trimmed the top of the sleeves so they would fit the armscye.
The third portion of the sleeves we large rectangles. I turned the bottom few inches of the side edge inward to hide the raw edges, then gathered the top and bottom edges. The top edge was gathered to the width of the shirred panels, and the bottom edge to the width of the cuffs.
They were sewn on to the shirred panels.
Then the top portion of the sleeves were lined with cotton to hide the raw edges.
The cuffs are interfaced rectangles of cotton with the edges ironed inward. Then I sewed piping onto each edge.
I used whip stitches for this, so the stitching wouldn’t be visible.
The cuffs were sewn onto the sleeves by hand, with more whip stitches.
Then lined with cotton. The fabric is lightweight enough that even when gathered down this densely it doesn’t add much bulk to the seam.
I did up the side seam, then covered the raw edges with plaid bias tape.
The final step was sewing two hooks and bars into each cuff.
I sewed the sleeves on by hand, with slip stitches, and then the bodice was complete! I’m pretty happy with this. At first I thought the plaid was too busy, and the shirring looked odd with the pleating, but I got over that and now I think it’s wonderful.
I didn’t take very many photos of making the skirt since I made it in two hours the night before we photographed this project. But it’s pretty easy to explain since the skirt is just a large rectangle!
I turned the hem inward by a half inch, then inward again by two and a quarter inches. I used a cross/catch stitch for this, and I have a tutorial on the process that can be watched here!
The top edge was pleated with knife pleats. I originally had the waistline being straight, but after a fitting I realized it was too long in the front. I cut the waistline on an angle so it was two inches shorter in the front than in the back, which leveled the hem.
Then I sewed on the waistband – this was done by machine to save time.
The back edges were turned inward twice to form a finished edge. Then I sewed hooks and bars in. The back seam was done up with a french seam.
And that was it for the skirt! I hemmed it to sit nicely over a single cotton and tulle petticoat, along with a weird bum pad I made for an 1880’s dress. This caused it to flare out a bit in the back which wasn’t uncommon in the 1830’s.
The final piece for this project is a bonnet. I used this as my main reference image and pinned paper onto a wig head until It had the shape I wanted.
I transferred that onto a new sheet of paper and cleaned up the edges. Then I cut the pattern out from heavyweight interfacing.
I sewed wire into the edges of each piece, then covered them with velvet.
The cap portions of the bonnet were lined with scraps of silk taffeta, then sewn together by hand.
I lined the brim with bright orange silk shantung, which matches the piping on the dress.
It was sewn in with whip stitches, then sewn onto the cap!
I’m pretty happy with how the shape turned out, and I love these materials together.
Since the dress is so wacky I decided to keep the bonnet somewhat simple. It’s decorated with strips of orange silk that form a criss cross pattern with a bow in the back and ends that fall at either side. These can be used as ties, but the bonnet stays in place thanks to a comb pinned into the back of the brim.
I should have photos of the finished ensemble up soon – we took some in a pumpkin patch, which made a nice backdrop for this fun dress. I just have to finish editing them!
Thanks for reading!